Crossbars and roof racks are an excellent way to add utility to any vehicle type, including cars, SUVs, trucks and vans. They are available in many styles, shapes and sizes, as well as universal or custom fit for your specific vehicle. As is the case with most accessories, features, quality, fitment and pricing can vary by product. One feature nearly all of the most high-end crossbars have is a specialized rubber aerodynamic strip. This uniquely engineered strip serves a few important purposes, such as to stop whistling at higher speeds, enhance aerodynamic efficiency and provide a protective rubberized grip to better hold cargo in place and prevent scuffing or scratching of cargo from unprotected crossbars and roof racks.
Add Premium Functionality to Any Crossbar
OEM and aftermarket crossbars that feature specialized aerodynamic rubber strips are typically high-end models, which often cost significantly more than average. Sometimes, the biggest difference between two types of well constructed, excellent fitting crossbars is this single feature and hundreds of dollars in additional costs. This makes aerodynamic strips one costly piece of rubber, until now!
Universal Fit | Easy Installation
While most rubberized aerodynamic strips are proprietary to a specific manufacturer/model or are custom inlaid within the crossbars, NXTGEN AeroGrips™ can quickly and easily be adhered to almost any crossbar or roof rack type. Each of our AeroGrip strips is 60 inches long and can be cut to size for a wide range of applications on cars, trucks, SUVs and vans. No special tools are needed and the crossbars and roof racks do not even need to be removed from the vehicle.
Stops Whistling | Adds Grip
Some of the most common complaints about roof racks and crossbars are whistling noises above certain speeds, lack of protective or rubberized grips and reduced vehicle efficiency. NXTGEN AeroGrips™ rectifies all of these issues with one simple, cost-effective product, adding premium functionality to almost any roof rack system not already equipped with this feature.
How It Works
Smooth airflow over an airfoil-like surface, such as a crossbar, causes drag and in some instances whistling noises. While some crossbar designs are more aerodynamic than others, smooth airflow over crossbar surfaces will always cause increased drag and a reduction of aerodynamic efficiency.
Adding NXTGEN AeroGrips™ to crossbars that do not have inlaid aerodynamic grips has some significant benefits:
- Breaking up airflow on the front (leading edge) of the crossbar eliminates whistling noises at higher speeds.
- Similar to how vehicle spoilers work, NXTGEN AeroGrips™ uniquely designed ridges disrupt airflow and cause turbulence. This turbulence eliminates the smooth airflow over the crossbar surface, reducing drag and increasing efficiency.
- Vehicles with crossbars and roof racks that have no rubberized grips have hard, slick surfaces that can scuff easily and make it harder to secure your cargo. Adding AeroGrips provides a durable, grippy surface that adds premium functionality, increased efficiency and quieter operation.
When analyzing 3 sets of vehicle specific crossbars with similar shape, attachment method, fitment, profile and weight ratings, one of the most notable differences is the lack of rubberized aerodynamic strips. With NXTGEN AeroGrips™, consumers no longer need to pay ultra-premium prices for this feature.
* Please Note: NXTGEN, Inc does not manufacture roof rack crossbars and is not associated with any entities that design or create crossbars.
Wind Faring vs AeroGrips
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to eliminate crossbar whistle, crossbars must be installed correctly and all manufacturer-supplied components must be installed. AeroGrips are not intended to replace or cover other inlaid rubber strips; rather they should be used in addition to them. AeroGrips and wind farings have unique attributes and benefits. AeroGrips are not a wind faring replacement, rather an additional and beneficial accessory that can be used in conjunction.
Universal For The Perfect Fit
NXTGEN AeroGrips™ are sold as either a single 60” strip or a set of (2) 60” inch strips.
Product features and highlights:
- Premium quality UV resistant rubber
- Top quality 3M VHB™ adhesive for a strong bond
- Protective rubberized grip for cargo
- Eliminates crossbar whistling
- Reduces wind noise during calm conditions
- Increases vehicle efficiency while using crossbars
- Better holds cargo in place
- Adds premium features to any crossbar type